Chicken Majboos (Pinoy Taste)
I always love cooking and making experiements with the foods I found in our kitchen. Since I am in an arab country right now, I always aim of cooking all the arabic dishes that I want to eat. And since some of the ingredients of these dishes are not suitable in my taste, I always make a way to cook it in my own style and personal taste. I also noticed that the Chicken Biryani (Pinoy Style) which I posted here few months ago ranked 3rd in this blog’s top posts for the month of April. Few days ago, I tried to experiment arabic dish again called Majboos. It is an arabic dish which is consist of long grain rice and chicken or meat. The meat or chicken were boiled before frying, then the rice is being cooked with the meat or chicken’s broth. This is also different from Biryani since in Majboos the rice is cooked separately from the chicken or meat while in Biryani, they are being cooked together. In chicken majboos, whole chicken is also used, while in biryani, the chicken are being sliced into serving portions. Majboos is usually served with Dakkous, it is an arabic dipping sauce made of tomato sauce.
Like the chicken biryani that I posted here before, the chicken majboos that I cooked few days ago was also done according to my very Filipino taste, no strong spices has been added, I also made my own version of Dakkous with soy sauce and fish sauce as well! :D
3 cups basmati rice (long grain rice)
1 kg whole chiken
2 onions, sliced thinly
2/3 cup mixed vegetables (carrots and green peas)
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tbsp. salt
2 cups cooking oil
1 small onion, minced
2 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup tomato ketchup
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. coking oil
1. Put enough water in a pot to cover the whole chicken, about 1 liter. Bring to a boil, add the whole chicken, salt and half of the sliced onions. Cook for 15 minutes or until done.
2. Wash the rice, then soak in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Once the chicken is done, remove it from the pot and keep the broth aside.
4. Reheat the chicken broth, add the soaked rice into it, cook until the rice grains are almost tender, adjust the water label if necessary. When the water is reduced, sprinkle turmeric powder on top of the rice, cover the pot, reduce the heat to very low and cook for 20-30 minutes. (Stir the rice after 15 minutes to mix the yellow and white rice)
5. Heat oil in a deep frying pan, fry the whole chicken until golden brown. Set aside.
6. In another pan, heat 1 tbsp. from the used oil, fry the remaining onions until brown, set. aside. In the same pan, stir fry the mixed vegetables for 2 minutes. Take out from the pan and mix it with the browned onions. Add the mixture on top of the rice.
7. Stir the rice gently to mix with the other ingredients, transfer to a platter and place the fried whole chicken on top of rice.
1. Heat oil in a sauce pan, saute onion and tomatoes until very tender.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
3. Transfer to a small bowl and serve it as a dipping sauce for the fried chicken.